Richard M. “Dick” Connell, age 79, died Monday, November 19, 2018 at Beaumont Hospital in Troy, Michigan. Richard was born February 1, 1939 in Pontiac, Michigan, son of the late Melvin A. Connell and the late Joan (nee: Danhoff) Connell. Richard, or “Dick” as he was more affectionately known, was raised in Pontiac, Mount Clemens, Bay City, and later in Saginaw, Michigan.
Dick attended and later graduated from St. James Catholic High School in Bay City where he was a member of the tennis team. Following high school Dick went on to attend Michigan State University where he studied Criminal Justice. His years at Michigan State led to his love for the Green & White and Dick’s constant cheerleading for his Spartans during both football and basketball games.
Following his graduation from MSU, Dick became a police officer with the Saugatuck Police Department for a short time. He eventually was offered a position with General Motors within the company’s corporate security division. Dick’s career spanned 34 years at General Motors with him attaining the position of Regional Director for Global Security. Dick would eventually retire in 1996.
Retirement for Dick was the best thing for both his health and his family life. In retirement Dick was able to travel in his RV Motor Home to many locations in Michigan and down south. He was also able to spend many hours with his grandchildren and also utilize his season tickets watching his beloved Spartans.
Dick enjoyed spending time at his condo in Lexington and tooling around in his 1980 Corvette. Throughout his life Dick made many great friends that also included his 7:30 am Cardiac Rehab Club.
Dick was the beloved husband to Connie Connell for over 39 years, and was the dear father of Becky (Mark) Deckers and Katie Connell (Mark Grobbel). He was the loving Papa of Sarah (Donnie) Borle, Caitlin (Brian) Deckers-Rakes, Jacob Grobbel, Emma Grobbel, and Great-Papa of Alivia, Dick is further survived by many family members and dear friends.
A Memorial Mass will be held at St. Blase Catholic Church, 12151 E. Fifteen Mile Road in Sterling Heights on Monday November 26, 2018. The Connell family will receive guests from 9:00 am until the time of the Memorial Mass at 9:30 am. Celebrating the Memorial Liturgy will be Reverend Fr. Randy Phillips.
In lieu of flowers, donations are appreciated to Prevention Concepts & Solutions, 104 West St. Clair Rd., Romeo, MI 48065, www.preventionconceptsinc.org for service and police K-9’s.
Thank you donors!
- Chuck Borders
- The Lexington Lakeview Condominium Association and all of the co-owner families extend our deep sympathies to the family of Richard Connell, and especially to Connie (our dear neighbor). Our thoughts are with you.
- Laurie Parres – Thanks for the important work you do. Donating in memory of Dick Connell.
- Megan OHara – in Memory of Richard (Dick) Connell, my dear uncle, with love to Auntie Jo, and his children and grandchildren
- Adrienne Malin – In loving memory of Richard Connell. We lift up prayers for his family during his difficult time. Love, The Malin Family
- Melinda Chausse – We are so very sorry for the loss of your Dad. We know all too well how difficult it is to lose a parent having gone through it recently ourselves, but know that you are surrounded by family & friends who will help you through this difficult time. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Mark, the kids and the rest of the family.
- FBI – In memory of Richard Connell from SEMTEC
- Linda Guerrini – In memory of Richard Connell.
- Danielle Santia – On behalf of your friends at the MCRA, we express our deepest sympathy.
- Les DeBora – In memory of Richard M. Connell.
- James Josaitis – Sorry to hear of Dick’s passing and we pray to ease the grief Connie Jo at this most difficult time
- Janet Josaitis – In memory of Richard “Dick” Connell whose life touched so many. Deepest sympathy for Connie Jo and family. My thoughts and prayers are with you
- Tom and Sandy – In loving memory of Dick Connell
- Cathleen – In memory of Dick Connell, he will be missed and fondly remembered.